Centennial Airport (APA), in Denver, CO, will close the primary Runway 17L/35R beginning Aug. 22 due to a runway rehabilitation project. The closure will remain in effect through Sept. 30.
The rehabilitation project will include:
- Complete resurfacing of the entire length of 17L/35R by mill and overlay.
- Replacement of existing runway lighting system with energy-efficient LED units.
- Installation of new elevated runway guard (wig-wag) lights at all TWY B connectors on 17L/35R.
While Runway 17L/35R is closed, Runway 17R/35L will be the primary arrival runway. Runway 10 will be the primary departure runway. There are several anticipated impacts related to this event, including:
- Depending on aircraft type and/or density altitude, the use of Runway 17R/35L will be necessary for departing aircraft, which may result in departure delays up to 30 minutes. These delays are contingent upon associated traffic volume.
- There are no high speed exits available on Runway 17R/35L. This will require increased miles-in-trail on final to allow aircraft to exit the runway after landing as well as to depart any waiting aircraft.
- There are no precision approaches to either Runway 17R or Runway 35L, requiring the use of a circling/sidestep approach (with increased minimums) during LVMC or IMC conditions.
- Due to the construction project, there will be limited taxi routes between the ramp areas and Runway 17R/35L, which could lead to time periods of increased ground congestion.
- Runway 28 may be available for arrivals on a case by case basis after considering the wind speed/direction and the arrival/departure demand.
- Practice approaches (VFR or IFR) will be extremely limited or unavailable. Requests for practice approaches will be handled on a case by case basis and are dependent on traffic demand.
ATC Traffic Management Initiatives and Delays
Arrival and departure delays are likely during peak times during the closure. Due to longer runway occupancy times, the airport arrival rates will be reduced. ATC will use mile-in-trail restrictions, fix balancing, time based flow management and possibly ground stops off the internal and first tier airports.
Planned Surface Impacts
The project will be completed in two phases.
During phase one, all connectors, with the exception of A8 and A14, will be closed. A8 and A14 will remain open to facilitate traffic crossing TWY A to Runway 17R/35L.
During phase two, all connectors, with the exception of A4 and A18, will be closed. A4 and A18 will remain open to facilitate traffic crossing TWY A to Runway 17R/35L.
During the construction project, Centennial Airport asks tenants, pilots and other airport users to:
- Check NOTAMs often
- Listen closely to ATCT instructions
- Expect unusual taxi instructions
- Watch for people and equipment
- Pay attention to flaggers at the connectors
- Be patient and stay alert
Safety or security concerns may be reported to APA operations at (303) 877-7307.
by NBAA Aug. 8, 2016